Best Korean Dramas 2020

With COVID transforming my job to become a remote job, I had a long list of dramas to follow this year, and I think I completed more than I had ever completed in one year. I dropped a few in the middle; however, what I completed is still a lot. 



Top Korean Dramas 2020


1. The Game Towards Zero


The Game Towards Zero Korean Drama











Ok Taecyeon is back with a masterpiece! I was originally a Hottest for a while, so I was sad when he moved to another agency; however, as long as he is still rapping and acting, I am fine with this. In this drama, he is someone who can see the final moment of a person by looking into his/ her eyes. The main cast of the drama consists of Ok Taecyeon, Lee Yeon-hee, and Lim Ju-hwan. It has been a while since I saw Lim Ju-Hwan playing a villain, but he deserves an award for his role here. It was more than I could have expected. Watch The Game Towards Zeo only if you are into mystery/thriller genre. It is not a romantic comedy at all!!


Bonus Tip: Jung Dong-hwan is the pillar of this drama!! Don't take his character lightly. 😁


2. Memorist 


Memorist Kdrama 2020











Another mystery drama that made my quarantine time fun in 2020, it is pure suspense, and it tops the scale in terms of acting. As a lover of all Yoo Seong Ho's dramas, this one did not disappoint me at all. He is a person who can read the memories of others, hence the name, the Memorist. Anyway, stumbling a serial murderer that could solve the mysteries of his life, Yoo Seong Ho starts chasing the culprit of a unique but appalling series of murders. His teammate throughout his journey is his senior officer, 2 young officers and a female detective like no other, Lee Se-Young. Watch "The Memorist" for a unique plot with very little romance. It could even fit in my No Romance Kdrama List.


3. Tale of the Nine-Tailed


Tale of the Nine Tailed











Lee Dong Wook's first fantasy drama after Goblin stirred the public to follow this drama closely. It topped its timeslot as the acting, story and direction were seriously top-notch. Lee Dong Wook is one of the people I want to write an actor scope about. I have watched almost all his dramas, so it will be such a thick article. Anyway, Dong Wook acts as a Gumhio in love with a human in this one. It is a typical tragic love story between two beings who shouldn't be together. The details though is what differentiates this drama from other dramas. I am stunned at how well the writer managed to blend the past and the present to present a combination of events where you can see the end and still hope for another ending. Enough rambling!! Just watch this top 2020 Korean Drama!! Don't Think Twice!


4. Hospital Playlist 


Hospital Playlist Kdrama 2020


Because the year was full of COVID, watching sick people is no longer something I wish to do. Therefore, many of the medical dramas on my to-watch list are now simply on hold till who knows when. I gave this one an exception, though, after immense pressure from a friend to check it out. Hospital Playlist does not just cover the medical aspect of hospital staff. It is a light-hearted comedy that discusses the everyday life of the doctors once they remove their white gown. The characters are very relatable in this one, and the love lines are just the top. All the characters have been friends for almost 20 years, thus no matter what embarrassing situations you see for them, you can easily laugh thinking about your friends. 


Bonus Tip: Watch this song from The drama whenever you are down. It is one of the best Korean dramas OST in 2020. 


5. Once Again


Once Again Makjang Drama


For some reason, I watch at least one Makjang drama per year. It is too long for me, but I think whenever I am in the mood for a no-brainer, I naturally check the latest Makjang dramas and choose one. This one though made me very happy and so into it. It is very relatable, and the characters are heartwarming. Lee Sang Yeob is the main reason I started this, but the rest of the characters were unique as well. Kim Bo-Yeon's character as the obsessed mom who was always lonely reminded me of someone I know very well. It is surprising how one character in a drama could help you understand a person you never thought you would understand. Luckily, I know now how to deal with these patterns and the reasons behind them. 


6. When My Love Blooms


When My Love Blooms Kdrama 2020


Advertised as a pure love story, When My Love Blooms started as a series to look forward to and went downhill halfway through. The reason why it is still one of my favourites is that the direction, Ost and camera work are just stunning in this drama. You seriously feel the love in the air for no reason. Also, the young couple carried this drama through. If the drama was only about the present with hints of the past, I would have hated it more. The main actor is married in the present with a life full of trouble, but instead of looking after his son's mental issues and his wife's insecurities, he is looking for his first love. Kind of a no brainer for me to drop this after they started their nostalgic love but then whenever I want to drop it, the young couple comes over and saves the day. My relationship with this one is both love and hate, so check it out to form your own opinion.


7. Start-Up


Start-up Kdrama 2020


My favourite Korean romantic comedy in 2020 and the favourite of many people because of Kim Seon Ho, the actor who surprised the whole world with his acting abilities here. Surprisingly, this one is my favourite romantic comedy, yet the main reason I continued watching this drama is the grandma and the second male lead. Halmoni and Han Ji Pyoung are the pillars and the main storyline of this drama, no doubt about that!! The main love story is fine as well; it is just that the characters that move you are not the main actors, which still counts as refreshing for a Korean drama. 


8. The Good Detective


The Good Detective Kdrama


I started this one because of Son Hyun-Joo. I love his acting. Regardless of which type he chooses, he has this charisma and methodology that I can't escape. The drama is about a detective who tries to prove the criminal he caught innocent. It is such a fresh concept. Wherever you are, you probably agree that we never hear about a police officer of any kind admitting to a fault, although they are humans so they could make mistakes. Oh Jung Se is the main villain of this masterpiece, and truthfully he is such a great actor to the point I seriously wanted him dead by the end. 


Bonus Tip: Oh Jun Se is also the young brother in the 2020 Korean drama " It's Ok To Not Be Okay", the one who made us cry and laugh all the way. 


9. Mystic Pop-Up Bar


Mystic Pop Up Bar


Fantasy dramas win this year, especially a compact drama with fast events, fast character development and a complete ending that you are bound to love. Mystic Pop-Up Bar excels in all aspects you could think about. The CG is great, the writing is great, the direction is great, and the acting is simply spectacular. It is enough for me that for the first time, I see Choi won young as a relatable lover who is not evil or selfish. He is as selfless as ever. I honestly always thought he was a good guy from his interviews and wished to see him act as one, not as a second lead but as the main lead.


10. The World of the Married 


The World of the Married


I had no idea why this one was popular when it was airing. I only watched it in December when I knew it was available on Netflix. Luckily, I managed to watch it before the end of the year. It is not every day; you see a masterpiece like this one. Honestly, if Kim Hee-ae doesn't get an award for this one, I would doubt the whole award ceremony this year. This drama revolves around the life of a doctor who discovers her husband is having an affair. From the first episode, you see that she lacks empathy as she easily decides to fire a doctor who was having a hard time after his wife died. Her life is turned upside down, and karma plays her role as she divorces her husband, plays with her son and somehow ends up losing almost everything and going through major depression. It is heartbreaking how the female lead transforms from a strong independent woman to a shell with enough sadness to cover the ocean. 


Finally, an honourable mention to " It Is Ok To Not Be Okay", unfortunately, because the subject deals with mental health issues, I couldn't complete the drama as many of my friends were, in fact, dealing with their struggles. I didn't want to add more of that type of problems to my life. 


PS: This is my recommended Korean drama list for 2020, share yours with me for more inspiration. Who Knows, this article might have a follow-up article titled " 2020 Korean Dramas I Didn't Know About."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BeetBits: Move To Heaven

BeetBits: Team Bulldog: Off-Duty Investigation

BeetBits: Hot Stove League